Gurs Camp Memorial
In the context of the creation of a network of Shoah remembrance sites in France, the Foundation for the Memory of the Shaoh supported the development of the site of the former Gurs camp in the Pyrénées-Atlantiques. Inaugurated in September 2007, these facilities are open to the general public as well as schools.
The memorials help us to better understand the history of the Gurs camp, where at first Spanish republicans and German refugees who fled from Nazism were interned.
Later on, this camp was the death chamber for thousands of Jews, including more than 6000 German Jews expelled from Baden and Palatinate, but also the victims of the Vichy roundups, and more generally the Jews arrested in southwestern France.
From 6 August 1942 to 3 March 1943, six convoys sent nearly 4000 Jewish internees to Drancy, the last stop before Auschwitz-Birkenau, where almost all of them were exterminated.
In total, nearly 60,000 people were detained in Gurs and about 1,000 died there.